History of Château de Reignac
Château de Reignac was built over the ruins of a former fortress that protected a crossing over the Indre river. The château today bears witness to three separate architectural periods.
The Château of the Du Fau Lords
In the 15th century, the du Fau family, who had just acquired the fiefdom, built a fortified castle.
Only the two round towers which frame the façade onto the gardens and the guards room remain from the castle of Jehan du Fau, who was Louis XI''s Grand Master of the King''s Residence in Loches.
Reignac subsequently became the property of Pierre Forget, who was Secretary of State under Henri III and Henri IV, and responsible for drawing up the Edict of Nantes.
The castle then became the property of Aymard de Chouppes, Chevalier of the King''s Order, King''s Counsellor, Lieutenant General in his Armies, and childhood friend of Louis XIII.
The Château of Louis de Barberin
In March 1710, King Louis XIV raised the Baron du Fau to the rank of Marquis de Reignac sur Indre, in order to reward "Our dearly beloved friend Louis de Barberin, Knight, Count of Reignac”. Louis de Barberin commenced major alteration work to adapt the château to current tastes: the moat was filled in, a vast formal park and garden were laid out, outhouses were built to the south-west and an east wing perpendicular to the house was added. A chapel, dedicated to Saint Louis, was built as an extension to the main body of the house.
The chapel''s foundation stone was blessed on 30th July 1717, and two years later the chapel''s founder was buried there. Marie Marguerite de Rarécourt de la Vallée-Pimodan, Louis de Barberin''s wife, commissioned Claude Dubois, a sculptor from Dijon, to carve the sumptuous marble mausoleum in his memory. The General Marquis de Lafayette inherited Reignac when his mother, Marie Julie de la Rivière, Louis de Barberin''s great-granddaughter came into her inheritance. The marquis and his wife, née Adrienne de Noailles, stayed frequently in Reignac until 1792 when the Lafayette family relinquished the château.
The Château in the 19th century
In 1861, the Müller family bought Reignac and with the help of Collet, the architect, re-vamped the property in neo-gothic style.
Edouard Müller was the mayor of Reignac from 1873 to 1913 and deputy for the Loches constituency from 1890 to 1893.
It was due to him that the little town of Reignac gradually modernised: a station, a post office, a library, a fire station and a new washhouse were all installed.
Around 1900, the château boasted electric lighting generated by its water-wheel on the Indre river. However, in 1911, the Henrotte-Müller bank went bankrupt and the Müller assets were seized.
The château then became the property of the Vibraye-Cheverny family until 1984.
Château de Reignac Today
In 2002, the château was bought by Erick Charrier, a former advertising agent, who had it restored and redecorated.
Today, Château de Reignac remains a uniquely elegant home in the Loire Valley.
The guests staying here will feel the presence of the famous owners of the past, yet will appreciate the modern comforts of the twenty-first century.